Sunday, September 29, 2019

Making a "stainless steel" kitchen counter for my restaurant

I am just so excited to be working on my restaurant!

It's the only restaurant in town, so it serves everything, including delicious pizza.  It has an Italian/ beachy/nautical atmosphere.



First, I had to make the kitchen counter with a sink in the corner. (I did debate NOT having a sink so I'd have more counter space to display food, but the kitchen should have a sink.)  I think I have enough space, though.  

I wanted a stainless steel counter top, so I had to find my craft metal. That took me some time. I looked on Amazon and it turned out I had purchased three different pieces, so I had some hope that I should be able to find one of the three :). (And I told myself I could not just buy it again.) 

I purchased them back in 2017 so it's only taken me 2 years to get to this :) 
I had used some to make the mail slot for my Malibu dolls house. 

I finally found all three pieces together. I wasn't sure if I could cut it with a scissor, but the reviews said I could. And indeed it cut very easily. It was very easy to work with. 

I cut out the shape I wanted in matte board and then I bent the craft metal around it. See below.


My sink is a jelly container. I have a very fancy aluminum sink but it was too big.


Here's my playing with the various patterns/colors. I am thinking of putting that subway tile on the one wall, and the blue tile on the floor. I used the fruit picture for my daughter's small pizzeria, and made one for myself as well. I just came across it again and it works better than I expected here as well. I had planned initially to have only white tile. 


Then with guidance from Julie Warren's book on making kitchen furniture (also used for "Cool Beans" in this post), I made the bottom shelf of the kitchen cabinet. I used the shape of the top stainless steel counter and then I cut out spaces for the legs. The back is a solid wall.  I glued that to the shelf first. Then I marked on each leg the distance to the floor and glued the legs in.


I put the partially glued cabinet into the restaurant kitchen space to make sure it fit.

(the Reutters pizza oven is in the corner)

But then I couldn't resist playing and added some pizzas, plants and pots.  And the tray I made of miniature pizza fixings.


The playing made me realize I should add some more shelves, one for pizzas waiting to go into the oven. I have purchased so many pizzas over the years while preparing to make this.

So below is the counter cabinet right before I "varnished" it.


While that dried, I made a shelf for the pizza waiting to go into the oven.


My kids made this pizza so I'm very fond of it.



 I also wanted to hang a dish towel, so I glued wire to make a railing on the other side. 


Meanwhile I had bought a faucet from #PaperDollMiniatures (check out her blog) on Shapeways. (And I hadn't lost it yet). So I spray painted it. I wanted a stainless steel look, but I must not have been paying attention when I bought the Humbrol Metal Cote spray (last year) because I bought "polished steel" --  which came out much more black than I was expecting.  But in the end, I think it looks rather nice with the tile artwork behind it. And maybe a stainless steel spray wouldn't have matched the counter.

The dishwashing soap is from Sue's Little Things on eBay.


The tomatoes on the cutting board are by Sharon Harbison. The knife is from TYA Kitchen.

I glued the sink and the faucet onto the top counter (before I lost them). I love the detail on them. I also bought the pot filler.  

I still have to glue the counter top to the bottom cabinet, but I started playing again. I had bought these dirty dishes so I put them in the sink (while I wait for an eyelet from my friend to make the drain. Or I find a snap). 


 The frying salmon is from TeenyPerfections on Etsy. The metal stove is by TYA Kitchen in Japan (@minichuubouan_tyakitchen on Instagram). I bought the fried cutlets at the Chicago International Show, but I can't recall the name of the vendor.

The spaghetti is from Teeny Perfections on Etsy. The Italian Chef spoon holder is from aMusing Miniatures on Etsy. I think I bought the olive oil and pasta at a show. 


And dinner is served. All the food is by Teeny Perfections from Etsy.  


Have a great week!

8 comments:

  1. What a fun little corner you've created for the cafe! I love the jelly container sink and the stainless steel counter turned out amazing! The shelving is a perfect fit and will give you lots of display space - nice work! The booth benches and table are just adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodi, Thanks so much! I was doubtful about the jelly container sink so I feel better that you like it. And I am excited for all the display space under the counter. But more shelves are still needed, of course!

      Delete
  2. Ooohhh pizza! Wonderful kitchen and set up so well for cooking. Great counterspace.

    Now I need to shrink down so I can slide in that booth and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! They make me hungry! Thanks so much!

      Delete
  3. This is awesome! Great job!!
    Mini huggs,
    Conny

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this kitchen with the "stainless steel" counters, corner sink and faucets. Lots of space, the pizzas look appetizing. It already looks like a lot of cooking is going on. Great work!
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love to show kitchen scenes and food cooking so there will be lots more cooking, but you're right that there is already a lot going on. Lol.

      Delete