Thursday, December 12, 2019

The Magic Portal Bookstore and New York City Plant Bed Tutorial

I made a lot of progress over the long Thanksgiving Day holiday (although there were several times when it felt like one step forward, two steps back) on The Magic Portal Bookstore, particularly on the NYC sidewalk and plant bed.

It is good that I have a deadline because I get very tempted to work on other things (like Christmas or Thanksgiving food or just random ideas that catch my fancy).  This explains why I have so few finished projects. Lol.

I finally decided on the color of the letters and I glued them on. I bought the letters from Factory Direct Craft. I painted them white and then I used glossy white nail polish on top for a shinier effect.


The Bookstore is called The Magic Portal because books are like a magic portal. I believe that, but it's also based on the Stephen King quote, "Books are a uniquely portable magic."

I also finally got the magnets to work to attach the front to the store. (Sheila, I'd be interested in how you did yours. The walls were so narrow to drill holes into for my magnets.)

I created book exhibits for the windows.

This circular one will be attached to the top of the left window. It's supposed to evoke a book portal. 


I chose a mixture of books for the window: literature, chicklit, children's, cooking, Stephen King's book On Writing.

I also figured out my lighting with some trial and error. (I tried a fancier method  (using my bakery ceiling as the practice ceiling) and then went back to my easier method.)

I worked on the city sidewalk and the flower bed. I am really happy with how the flower bed turned out.

I love looking at flowerbeds on streets in New York City--glimpses of very small gardens. This is a flowerbed I pass every day and I think it is quite beautiful.

I was going to put a tree trunk in mine, but I couldn't find the tree trunk I wanted to use. My daughter and I had made one for a school project, and we saved that from the project. But I couldn't find it (another time).

Here is my flowerbed:



The hostas plant is from the youtube video by We love Miniatures (and the printout was available years ago on their Facebook page. My friend Ketsia had found it as a project for us to do).

The other plants are from Dragonfly International Miniatures. The small plants were a NAME roundtable kit  (but also available on her website) and the large plants are available on the Dragonfly website or HBS/Miniatures (where I bought it ).

I highly recommend Deb's kits. They are easy and come out well. This kit makes 2-3 plants. I didn't realize that at first, and I was like this plant is going to be HUGE. Then I looked at the website where it clarified that the kit makes 2-3 plants. Similarly, the kit for the small plants made 6 different plants.


Plant Bed Black Iron Fence Tutorial

For the iron guard rail around the flowerbed, I cut paper clips. I crazy-glued them into the foam base and then I painted them black with Testers Black paint.

Here are my tools and supplies:


For the iron guard rail around the flowerbed, I cut paper clips. I crazy-glued them into the foam base and then I painted them black with Testers Black paint.

After painting:




For the sidewalk, I used spackle thinned with water, a sponge to give it some texture, and then I painted it with watered-down grey.


I made the purple dahlias from a kit by **. I bought it at Philadelphia Miniaturia. I forgot to include it in my earlier post on purchases. That was also an easy kit with a lovely result.


And finally, in New York, you need a "don't pee/poop on my garden sign." Not that it works. 



Have a great week!



6 comments:

  1. I love it! Your garden is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your the name of your bookstore is a TERRIFIC choice and I love your reason for choosing it! :D
    The tiny street garden is PERFECT and so is the iron fencing. I had to look twice to make sure that what I was seeing was miniature because your hosta look so real!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your book store facade and the choice of its name.
    Thank you for sharing the flower bed tutorial. Using the paper clips for the fence is a brilliant idea.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the shop lettering and the name, Kathy! Reading really does take you away to places unknown!
    The displays are so clever and the shop windows really call you in for a look around!
    The garden is wonderful! I love that you paid homage to the real one you pass every day! There's nothing more exciting that creating something in mini from something in real life that inspires you!
    The fencing is such a neat idea and one that all of us can accomplish whenever the urge strikes us! I have a couple of those Dragonfly kits and now that I have seen how great yours came out I will be more likely to actually attempt them!
    I wish you great luck in the contest, and now that you are out from under the deadline you can switch to making fun Christmas themed minis!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh can't wait to see the final photos here! I'm in love with the garden, it's gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your plants and the little paperclip hedge!

    ReplyDelete