Friday, April 12, 2019

Making Tulips



The National Association of Miniature Enthusiasts is having an online house party with the theme of  "Around the World in 8 Days."

It includes a swap where the theme is visiting various countries around the world. I decided to participate in the swap because I could make tulips as a gift from The Netherlands.

I combined two tutorials.



The blog My Small Obsession has a brilliant Paper Tulip tutorial.  And the UK magazine Dollshouse and Miniature Scene had a tulip tutorial by Marianne Cook in the April 2017 issue. I had printed it out in 2017 and kept it as a project To Do.

My Small Obsession uses coffee filters for the paper. And she uses a regular hole punch to punch circles.  I love when tutorials use supplies that I have around the house! I shaped the punched circles on an eraser or foam pad using a ball stylus.

Then I followed the advice of Marianne Cook and dipped the 50 mm wires into yellow paint. (That seemed easy). Per Cook, I added three brown threads around the "pistil."

Then I took three shaped petals and put them around the pistil, spaced evenly. When those dried, I added another three petals overlapping.

Then I cut the leaves as directed. I wrapped them around the bottom of the wire.

Once dry, I stuck each flower into self-drying clay in a bead. And luckily, since I had to make 18 items for the swap, one tulip looked lovely in the bead.




And off I mailed my 18 tulips. I should receive 15 swap items back in May (I think). I can't wait. I'll show you the swap packages when I receive them.

The Cook tutorial also suggests painting each petal for that tulip look, so I tried that with one tulip. I am definitely tempted to try to make more in this style.



Have a great weekend!!


9 comments:

  1. The tulips are beautiful. Thank you for sharing.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look simple enough to make but I do not have the patience. You did a great job, they look adorable!
    Mini huggs,
    Conny

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like so much fun and the resulting vases with their jovial tulips look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How clever! The lovely tulips in their vases will represent Holland perfectly. Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Drora

    ReplyDelete
  5. So Pretty! Your tulips are Lovely and I immediately think of the Netherlands when I see them in Real life and in miniature :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful tulips, there is a Dutch song... As spring comes I'll bring you tulips from Amsterdam, 100 reds 100 yellow for you the most beautiful...
    I love them,
    groetjes van Marijke

    ReplyDelete
  7. The perfect way to bring in spring! They look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really Lovely tulips and Thanks for the tutorials, Penelope!

    ReplyDelete