Sunday, December 15, 2019

The Magic Portal Bookstore Photoshoots

I think one of the toughest things about the HBS competition is taking 4 good photos of your project. But I am so happy that my bookstore is actually done and complete. I mean, of course, I will still fiddle with it and play with it, but it's my most completed project yet.

I've had two photo shoots and I can't say that I see four clear winners.

Here it is set up on boxes on the balcony - with some jerry-rigged lights. I really wanted an atmospheric outside photo. (Can you imagine what my neighbors thought? Lol.) And I was very careful because I really didn't want it falling off the boxes over the balconies

It doesn't look realistic enough because it's floating in mid-air, but to be honest, I really like this photo. It also was getting dark as I was taking it. Thanks to Sheila for pointing out that I should use more lighting.


Similarly, I quite like this one too.


I think below is a good inside photo. 


From a different angle:


Here's a photo of the children's bookshelves. I still have so many more children's books that I could add. But I tried to include many of my children's favorites right now. 


I then moved the bookstore inside onto my desk and took a picture with some nice sunlight/shading:




I then moved the bookstore back to its space next to my Malibu dollshouse and took a picture there, with my daughter holding the lamps. 

But this came out very dark (even with the light and it was mid-afternoon and sunny), although it looks maybe more realistic. 


So here are my final four. Drum roll please:



Closer shot





The interior


If there were six pictures, I would have added the children's bookshelf and my garden. I I really love my garden. I am quite inspired now to make another garden.  Which is good. Because I am making a flower shop for my Big Apple Miniaturists club project. So stay tuned. 

Have a great week!



10 comments:

  1. Great work, Penelope! I'm glad to hear that you're inspired for gardening, I also have that mini urge at present. Good lighting for photography is important. I'm glad Sheila told you about it, there are a few mini bloggers I would like to point that out to but I'm never sure whether to say something or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I was happy for the suggestion. It's hard to get the lighting right. My bakery always is dark even though I have lighting in the ceiling and above. I need to have lamps on it, but there's nowhere to attach them around it.

      Delete
  2. I love the photos! They look great. It is so hard to choose! I really love the outdoors photo but getting everything well lit is so hard!

    I know you're going to do great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree. I'm just happy to have a finished roombox. I think this might be the first one that is actually finished. My coffee/tea shop is close but there are still a few more things I want to add there. I think I'd have to change the kit more to score points on the originality prong to place. And there was a modern bookstore last year, so the idea of a modern bookstore is not particularly original either. I love your bookstore though!

      Delete
  3. It's really hard to choose which photo. They all look good to me.
    your bookstore, as I already mentioned before, looks great!
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Thanks so much! I'm so happy you like my bookstore.

      Delete
  4. Good Luck with your entry Penelope, and Congratulations on getting your bookstore finished on time and with the required photos taken: a Job Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to have it done! And the photos taken. I feel like I've already won because I actually finished it (including shingling the roof, which one can't even see). Which might be for the best as shingling is NOT my strong suit. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  5. The entire project came out wonderfully, Kathy! I wish you the best of luck and I can't wait to see the rest of the photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Yes, now for the fun of playing with it and holding book talks and story time for kids.

      Delete