Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Progress on the Dollhouse Castle

I'm starting to make some more progress on the dollhouse castle for my son. He is getting impatient (understandably).



(My mother-in-law made the flag and the outfit for the knight doll. The catapult is from http://ketsiaelie.blogspot.com/) The cannon is from my mom.)

I finally installed the bottom front wall with hinges. Initially I hadn't accounted for the hinges taking up so much space, so the two sides couldn't close. I had planned to saw off part of the wall, but I just couldn't do it. (I was afraid I'd saw off too much or it would look really messy.) So luckily I found a piece of wood (after several attempts) that I could attach to the side of the house to give the necessary space. See below:


I glued a door handle from Olde Mountain Miniatures on the front door. I love it. I added a screw there for the kids to use as a real door handle.



And I finished wallpapering one bedroom. I used tacky glue so it's not perfect, but it will do. (The wallpaper is from DollsHouse Emporium. The bed is from eBay.) I was hoping this would be the parents' bedroom, but my son likes it so much, it's now the boys' bedroom.


Here's the top all ready for battle:



Now I have to work on the kitchen, painting the walls and doors. My son keeps asking me when we are going to glue in the walls.

Have a great week!

8 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful! I really like your stonework. And congrats on making the hinges work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm very happy that the hinges worked and that the front door is finally on. I love the stonework.

      Delete
  2. This castle is so cool and all of the stuff he's got for it is going to make for some epic playtime! I love that it's a project that so many family members are contributing to - that makes it even more special! And I am glad you were able to find a solution for the hinged wall. It's so hard to think of everything and coming up with creative solutions to the puzzles we encounter is all part of this hobby. Great work Penelope! He is lucky yo have a mom that encourages his creative play and goes above and beyond to make cool toys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but it seems that there is a deadline. My daughter is not so interested in dollhouses anymore, so I need to substantially complete this before he no longer plays with it. It is fun with all the gifts from friends and family.

      Delete
  3. What Fun!!!! Your stones on the castle walls look Wonderful and the various rooms and activity going on in the battlements above, is Great!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took a class on making the stonework with Teresa Layman. I liked making it so much that I wanted to then make a castle. You can see that I became more confident with my colors when painting the stonework on the battlements.

      Delete
  4. Your son is so lucky to have you working with him on his fantastic castle. The stonework is incredible.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He likes working on it right now. He is picking colors for the bedrooms upstairs and the playroom.

      Delete